The books below are currently on display on the 2nd floor of the LRC. Come check one out! Click the title to find out more about the book.
- Inventing the job of president: leadership style from George Washington to Andrew Jackson / Fred I. Greenstein.
- Celebrity-in-chief: how show business took over the White House / Alan Schroeder.
- The American vice presidency: from irrelevance to power / Jules Witcover.
- Washington: a life / Ron Chernow.
- John Adams / David McCullough.
- Thomas Jefferson: the art of power / Jon Meacham.
- James Madison: a son of Virginia & a founder of the nation / Jeff Broadwater.
- James Monroe, the quest for national identity / Harry Ammon.
- John Quincy Adams / Harlow Giles Unger.
- American lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House / Jon Meacham.
- The presidency of Martin Van Buren / Major L. Wilson.
- The presidencies of William Henry Harrison & John Tyler / Norma Lois Peterson.
- James K. Polk / John Seigenthaler.
- The presidencies of Zachary Taylor & Millard Fillmore / Elbert B. Smith.
- The presidency of Franklin Pierce / Larry Gara.
- The Presidency of James Buchanan / by Elbert B. Smith.
- Team of rivals: the political genius of Abraham Lincoln / Doris Kearns Goodwin.
- Andrew Johnson / Annette Gordon-Reed.
- Ulysses S. Grant: triumph over adversity, 1822-1865 / Brooks D. Simpson.
- Rutherford B. Hayes / Hans L. Trefousse.
- The Presidencies of James A. Garfield & Chester A. Arthur / Justus D. Doenecke.
- The presidencies of Grover Cleveland / Richard E. Welch, Jr.
- The presidency of Benjamin Harrison / Homer E. Socolofsky and Allan B. Spetter.
- William McKinley / Kevin Phillips.
- The bully pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the golden age of journalism / Doris Kearns Goodwin.
- The Presidency of William Howard Taft, by Paolo E. Coletta.
- Woodrow Wilson: a biography / John Milton Cooper, Jr.
- Warren G. Harding / John W. Dean.
- Calvin Coolidge / David Greenberg.
- Herbert Hoover, a public life / David Burner.
- FDR / Jean Edward Smith.
- Truman, a centenary remembrance / Robert H. Ferrell.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower / Tom Wicker.
- An unfinished life: John F. Kennedy, 1917-1963 / Robert Dallek.
- Indomitable will: LBJ in the presidency / Mark K. Updegrove.
- President Nixon: alone in the White House / Richard Reeves.
- A Ford, not a Lincoln / Richard Reeves.
- An outsider in the White House: Jimmy Carter, his advisors, and the making of American foreign policy / Betty Glad.
- Ronald Reagan: fate, freedom, and the making of history / John Patrick Diggins.
- The presidency of George H.W. Bush / John Robert Greene.
- William J. Clinton / Todd Howard, book editor.
- Hillary Rodham Clinton: polarizing first lady / Gil Troy.
- George W. Bush / James Mann.
- The backlash: right-wing radicals, hi-def hucksters, and paranoid politics in the age of Obama / Will Bunch.
- The bridge: the life and rise of Barack Obama / David Remnick.
- Never enough: Donald Trump and the pursuit of success / Michael D'Antonio.
- Gender and elections: shaping the future of American politics / edited by Susan J. Carroll, Rutgers University and Richard L. Fox, Loyola Marymount University.
- It still takes a candidate: why women don't run for office / Jennifer L. Lawless, Richard L. Fox.
- The radical center: the future of American politics / Ted Halstead and Michael Lind.
- The insecure American: how we got here and what we should do about it / edited by Hugh Gusterson and Catherine Besteman foreword by Barbara Ehrenreich.
- The great debate: Edmund Burke, Thomas Paine, and the birth of right and left / Yuval Levin.
- American politics in the age of ignorance: why lawmakers choose belief over research / David Schultz.
- Federalism and the making of America / David Brian Robertson.
- A presidential nation: causes, consequences, and cures / Michael A. Genovese.
- Presidential prerogative: imperial power in an age of terrorism / MIchael A. Genovese.
- The presidential nominating process: a place for us? / Rhodes Cook.
- The presidential election process / Tom Lansford, book editor.
- Attack politics: negativity in presidential campaigns since 1960 / Emmett H. Buell Jr. and Lee Sigelman.
- Tension city: inside the Presidential debates, from Kenney-Nixon to Obama-McCain / Jim Lehrer.
- Inside the presidential debates: their improbable past and promising future / Newton N. Minow and Craig L. LaMay.
- The candidate: what it takes to win, and hold, the White House / Samuel L. Popkin.
- Selecting a president / Eleanor Clift and Matthew Spieler.
- Democracy at risk: how political choices undermine citizen participation and what we can do about it / Stephen Macedo ... [et al.].
- Why Americans hate politics / E.J. Dionne, Jr.
- America, the owner's manual: making government work for you / Bob Graham, with Chris Hand.
- Give us the ballot: the modern struggle for voting rights in America / Ari Berman.
- Locked out: felon disenfranchisement and American democracy / Jeff Manza and Christopher Uggen.
- How the vote was won: woman suffrage in the western United States, 1868-1914 / Rebecca J. Mead.
- The politics of sex: public opinion, parties, and presidential elections / Susan B. Hansen.
- American political parties and elections: a very short introduction / L. Sandy Maisel.
- The swing vote: the untapped power of independents / Linda Killian.
- Stealing democracy: the new politics of voter suppression / Spencer Overton.
- Gaming the vote: why elections aren't fair (and what we can do about it) / William Poundstone.
- Red state, blue state, rich state, poor state: why Americans vote the way they do / Andrew Gelman ... [et al.].
- U.S. election system / edited by Paul McCaffrey.
- The money men: the real story fund-raising influence on political power in America / Jeffrey Birnbaum.
- Buying the vote: a history of campaign finance reform / Robert E. Mutch.
- Dark money, super PACs, and the 2012 election / Melissa M. Smith and Larry Powell.
- Deliver the vote: a history of election fraud, an American political tradition, 1742-2004 / Tracy Campbell.
- The myth of voter fraud / Lorraine C. Minnite.
- Grassroots rules: how the Iowa Caucus helps elect American presidents / Christopher C. Hull.
- Netroots rising: how a citizen army of bloggers and online activists is changing American politics / Lowell Feld and Nate Wilcox foreword by Markos ( Kos ) Moulitsas Zúniga.
- Get out the vote: how to increase voter turnout / Donald P. Green and Alan S. Gerber.
- Becoming a candidate: political ambition and the decision to run for office / Jennifer L. Lawless.
- Going dirty: the art of negative campaigning / David Mark.
- Campaign boot camp 2.0: basic training for candidates, staffers, volunteers, and nonprofits / Christine Pelosi.
- Presidential campaigning in the Internet age / Jennifer Stromer-Galley.
- Reinventing democrats: the politics of liberalism from Reagan to Clinton / Kenneth S. Baer.
- The wrongs of the right: language, race, and the Republican Party in the age of Obama / Matthew W. Hughey and Gregory S. Parks.
- The wilderness: deep inside the Republican Party's combative, contentious, chaotic quest to take back the White House / McKay Coppins.
- Change they can't believe in: the Tea Party and reactionary politics in America / Christopher S. Parker, Matt A. Barreto.
- The most fundamental right: contrasting perspectives on the Voting Rights Act / edited by Daniel McCool.
- Bending toward justice: the Voting Rights Act and the transformation of American democracy / Gary May.
- Taming the electoral college / Robert W. Bennett.
- Money and free speech: campaign finance reform and the courts / Melvin I. Urofsky.
- The voting wars: from Florida 2000 to the next election meltdown / Richard L. Hasen.
- By order of the President: the use and abuse of executive direct action / Phillip J. Cooper.
- The Twenty-fifth Amendment: its complete history and applications / John D. Feerick.